Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What is for dinner for us?

When I was at the Grocery store this weekend, I found something in the freezer section where the family entrees are.  This is put out under the On Cor brand and it's sliced turkey with gravy. Now what makes this different from the Turkey loaf with gravy?  it's sliced and the store had it on sale for 2 dollars a box.  Each box served 6 so I got a few boxes. You can't beat the price and we have eaten their Salisbury streak and gravy and it was pretty good. So All I have to do is make either mashed potato or stuffing.
Depending on what this afternoon brings, Mashed potatoes are just  Peeled and cubed all purpose russet potatoes, enough water to cover. Boil for about 20 minutes or until you can put a fork in the potato bits and the potato falls off the fork. Drain, add some butter and mash and if they seem a bit stiff, add a splash of milk or cream.

hey, two recipes for one today...

Stuffing

Take a cup or two of chopped celery, one chopped onion  and one stick of butter.  Melt the butter in  heavy gauge skillet until it is screaming hot. add the onion and celery and saute until tender.  in a big bowl, I add a bag of stuffing mix. Not the stove top crap, but the peppridge farms or Mrs C's  stuffing mix and when the celery and onion are ready. I add that to the stuffing mix.  stir to combine. if it is too dry to your liking, I add a can or two of chicken stock to moisten it up.  You can bake it or fry it at this point.  If you chose to bake it, 350* for about 20 minutes.  If you fry it, make patties and fry in a bit more butter.

"In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport." -- Julia Child, celebrity chef and cookbook author

My husband is pressing me to get out the door so I will see you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment