Monday, October 17, 2011

The Next Best Thing to Mashed Potatoes

     I think I have discovered the best thing before sliced bread.  If my picky eater, (yes he may look 100% my side of the family but he is as picky as his Uncle Mike when it comes to what he will or will not eat) eats these then they are great.

     I get the "B" size potatoes. The ones that come in a gallon size zip lock bag at my grocery store.  They are not big enough to be in the "A" size bags but bigger than seed potatoes. There have been times when I couldn't get to the store that sells them and some of the other stores sell the Green Giant packaged of different colored potatoes. They are more expensive than just the regular russet potatoes so it's a great splurge on my part to get them vs the regular potatoes.

     I cut the potatoes in to bigger than bite size chunks. Why? Because they will cook down to bite size when baked. I  drizzle them in canola oil. You can use olive oil I don't because I don't like the taste. I will get into that in another post. How much I used is dependent on how much of cut up potato I have.  I eye ball it to be about 1/8 a cup per pound of potato. "THAT IS TOO MUCH!"  Like I said, I eyeball it and at least my potatoes don't stick to the baking dish very often.  And I don't peel them. If I were to use regular Russets, then yes I would peel them but with the baby potatoes, the skin isn't hard.

     To that I add a package of seasoning mix I have on hand.  Onion and mushroom soup mix,  I really like the savory Garlic and Herb that Lipton puts out and my daughter really likes when I put a package of Hidden Valley Ranch with the potatoes.  Of course I don't put them in all at once. Just a packet at a time. One packet will effectively flavor 5 pounds of cut up potatoes.  I add everything to a 13x9 baking dish and let it sit in a moderate oven of *350 degrees for about an hour.

    Sit back and let your family enjoy the goodness.

     By the way, What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment