Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chilli for a chilly night

Halloween is tomorrow night.  It's going to be cold, and cold here in the Heartland tomorrow night.  Chili is something that can be quick, easy, and yummy.

I start by browning a pound or two of cut up round steak with a medium onion chopped in a couple of tablespoons of bacon drippings. When it's been well browned, I add it to my crock pot and add 3 cans of dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed, One can of diced tomatoes with juice, one Jar of  salsa, (that is going to be your heat) A jar of chili sauce, and if you like your chili wet, you can add spicy tomato juice. Simmer on low for 6 hours. I serve my chili on tortilla chips, topped with sour cream, cheese, and a side of corn bread.  If I feel really lucky, I will make Cinnamon rolls too.

When growing up in Soda Springs,  For school lunch every so often, the cooks would make chili from scratch  or at least the way I make chili by opening cans and letting everything simmer for a few hours. It was always served with  cinnamon rolls.  My mom, being a school teacher, could put in an order for those rolls and when she brought them home at the end of day, they were very good with a glass of cold milk.   For easy rolls, Just get the Rhodes Frozen cinnamon rolls that you just put in the oven and bake from their  frozen state.

Happy Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment