Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Orange Roughy

Yeah, it's an ugly fish. There for proving my theory that if it's cute, Don't eat it.  It will taste bad.  Really.  The uglier the meat, the better tasting it is.

What the butcher was passing as Orange Roughy wasn't true Roughy. It was an Asian cousin.  Roughy is a bit overfished and it takes a long time for it reproduce. It has a long life and doesn't reproduce until much later.

The fish I got was Sahi. It's a substitute for the Roughy.  it was mild, white fish. It had a sweet taste to it.

How I cooked it the other night was I dredged the fillets in flour, then egg white that was beaten until foamy and seasoned with a pinch or two of salt, some dried dill and a couple of dashes of lemon juice. and then I covered the egg layer in bread crumbs.

I did a pound and half of fish with 2 cups of flour, 4 eggs whites, pinch or two of salt, a pinch or two of dried dill and a couple of splashes of Lemon Juice and 2 cups of bread crumbs.

I baked it at 350* for  15 minutes and I served it with Couscous and steamed carrots.

How do you make Couscous?   I boil 1 1/2c of chicken stock with about a 1T of butter, I add 1T of granulated garlic, dehydrated minced onion, and  1t of pepper.  Remove from heat and add 1 cup of couscous. Cover and let steam for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

I got a Rice cooker/steamer for Christmas and I use it at least 3 times a week to steam or cook anything and everything in it.

To pan steam carrots, I take a pound of carrots and peel them, cut them into 2-3 inch long sticks,  and steam them, to Pan steam,  add 1/2 a cup of water and 1/8t of salt, bring to a boil and add the carrots. let it come to a boil again and cover the pan and let cook,  it takes about 10 minutes depending on how big your carrots are.

I have some other projects in the fire. TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment