Monday, January 2, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

Finally, winter has come to Iowa. There is no snow but the wind is blowing off some unseen glacier and if you don't have a good insulated coat, you will freeze.  Just ask the 300 or so people at last night Romney Rally. I was there and I dragged my 16 year old daughter out to it too. I think the significance is lost on her mind right now.

Anyhow...

Ham and bean soup. YUM when it's cold outside.

8 cups of cold water
1 pound of great northern or Navy beans (You would think that Navy beans would be well, Navy instead of white. Where is Alton Brown when I need him?)

Either soak over night or since you are like me, you didn't think about doing this until noon and you want the soup for dinner so quick soak them.  Add the beans to the pot after you  sort them, (Just check for abnormality and rocks) and add the water. Bring to a rolling boil, cover and take off the heat for about an hour or so.  Drain and rinse well.  I even wash the pan but that is me. I have this logical fear of Botulism.

Put the beans back into the pot with 8 more cups of water  left over ham bone, 
2 carrots, peeled and sliced,
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 small onion diced
a bay leaf or two
2 t of dry mustard or more to taste.
  Let it simmer for about and hour and half to 2 hours or until beans are tender.

I am going to serve this with corn muffins.

Edit: I just googled why Navy beans are white,  They are called Navy beans because they were a staple for the US Navy during the wars.  That makes sense to me.

1 comment: